[600MRG] Return of the TX --> KL7 path

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:47:05 CDT 2015

Last night had the return of the path from TX to KL7, something that has
been missing since March 15.

An examination of last year's data for this same time period shows a
similar return to the path and an almost daily persistence once it began.
This is fascinating to me because I don't believe Laurence actually sees
darkness or even much twilight at this time of year.

Aside from the generally poor conditions, probably mostly attributable to
the large number of persistent thunderstorms and the noise they generate,
conditions last night were generally more interesting than they have been
in quite some time.  Some discussion suggests the spot light was on and
moving around and real time observations seem to corroborate this
behavior.  In fact, in the course of a single 2-minute WSPR cycle, the
propagation might shift from 12 stations reporting reasonable signals to no
receptions on subsequent cycles.  This was similarly observed with signals
from WH2XND in AZ a few mornings ago.  Signals were strong on the E-W path
and then completely gone as if he had shut off the transceiver (I confirmed
that he had not).  The signal returned for a brief period to the same very
strong levels 25 minutes after local sunrise and then gradually faded out
as one might expect.

73..perhaps we are starting to turn a corner and can have similar exciting
condx as we had in late summer 2014...

John KB5NJD /  WG2XIQ