[600MRG] Advice needed

Andy - KU4XR ku4xr at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 23:24:01 CST 2015

Hi Neil: As Warren mentioned; the " Clumping " kitty litter will retain moisture.. It uses
Bentonite Clay... This can be purchased in large bags rather than the kitty litter itself..
A farm supply store will probably carry the bags of Bentonite clay.. IIRC - that is what
JD did when he installed his vertical in the field.. He trenched the radials, and filled the
trenches with Bentonite before back-filling.... When it gets wet; it expands, and turns
very slimey... It will stay that way for a very long time, holding moisture...

I like the word Warren used about spacing several ground rods - " supposedly " ...
For the rods to " act like " parrallel resistors; they - must - have a parrallel connection..
This would be done thru the bonded connection at the top, and through the soil - 8 feet
down... If all you have is rock; it seems that the parrallel connection would be difficult
to achieve...

You might see better results with a homemade ground mat, or several radials laid out,
and bonded together at 8 foot intervals, making trapezoid squares... The rule of thumb
that I have been given is to make your radial mat about 5% longer than your vertical
is High... If the vertical is 30 ' AGL, make the mat 31-1/2 ' out... or round it to 32' ...
A skirt wire around the radial mat would be worth the effort, But I have read several
comments that 8 foot rods at the end of the skirt provide very little benefit in lowering
the resistance, for the pounding to be done ...

Good luck with your efforts... 73 :

Andy - KU4XR