[600MRG] ERP, EIRP, How & Why

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Jan 28 12:24:51 CST 2015

On 28 Jan 2015 at 8:57, Edward R Cole wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Don't confuse antenna efficiency with gain.

I'm not.

>  Kraus (Antennas) defines
> antenna gain as directivity.

Of course: no antenna can output more total RF than is impressed on it. One
can only "point" more or less of that RF in some particular direction or
directions, and less of it in others. This is what we call "gain"...which it really
isn't. "Gain" with regard to antennas is certainly a handy word to describe
what is actually happening, but many (most?) hams misunderstand what is
actually taking place.

>  The inverted-L radiates less upward
> than horizontally (as most vertical antennas do), thus a mild bit of
> directivity.  Rudy shows nearly the same amount in his calculations
> (1.7 dB).  But coupled with 4.6% efficiency it will not radiate
> anywhere near a full-size quarter wave vertical.  This gain was
> derived from EZNec.

Well, EZNec is a handy tool (as is MMANA GAL, which I use) but it most
certainly is only an approximation at best. It is a model. Those programs can
give us a good idea of what is happening, but none can exactly describe
what is actually taking place, either.

> How did you arrive at your -2 dB gain?  At what frequency?

The antenna was designed specifically for 80 and 40 meters. At 80 meters, it
shows a "gain" of MINUS approximately 2 dB over a resonant dipole
according to every reference I could find on the subject.

I am also using a version of VOACAP. In that collection of programs, one of
those is a way to input your own personal antenna parameters to the main
program in order for it to provide more accurate point-to-point propagation
data.

THAT also shows my antenna as having approximately MINUS 2dB "gain"
over a dipole. The actual figure, as I remember it,. is very close to 1.87
dB...minus.

Lastly, my experience with the antenna over the past 10 years pretty much
bears this out.

Ken W7EKB