[600MRG] ERP, EIRP, How & Why

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Wed Jan 28 11:57:55 CST 2015

Ken,

Don't confuse antenna efficiency with gain.  Kraus (Antennas) defines
antenna gain as directivity.  The inverted-L radiates less upward
than horizontally (as most vertical antennas do), thus a mild bit of
directivity.  Rudy shows nearly the same amount in his calculations
(1.7 dB).  But coupled with 4.6% efficiency it will not radiate
anywhere near a full-size quarter wave vertical.  This gain was
derived from EZNec.

How did you arrive at your -2 dB gain?  At what frequency?

73, Ed - KL7UW