[600MRG] MRHS Granted 512Kc

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Sun Jan 25 20:41:02 CST 2015

Dedicated to True Believers Worldwide

> Bolinas Antennas Suffer Heavy Damage in December Storm
   Several transmitters off-air including MF

> MRHS Granted 512kc!
   Transmitter Department working to meet construction deadline

> Frank Geisel Reports for February, March and April 1946
   More of the incomparable FG style

> Mini-Night of Nights Report
   It was a fun event

> Get Your Radiotelegraph License Endorsed at KSM
   Sit the circuit at KSM and have your ticket endorsed as a commercial operator

> First MRHS Radiotelegraph Exam Scheduled
   7 February 2015 in Point Reyes Station, CA

> Radiotelegraph License Exams in the Portland Area
    Here's another COLEM ready and willing to administer the Radiotelegraph exam

> Matson Navigation Company Needs REOs!
   Get paid to sail the world as a Radio Electronics Officer

> Job Opening at the MRHS
   Get paid to help with the titanic MRHS inventory project

> Bolinas Antennas Suffer Heavy Damage in December Storm

During a severe storm on 12 December the antennas at the transmitter
site in Bolinas suffered heavy damage.  As a result several KSM and
K6KPH transmitters are off the air until further notice.  This
includes transmitter A7, the 500kc/426kc transmitter

Here's a report on the damage by Transmitter Supervisor Steve Hawes

(EDZ = Extended Double Zepp antenna)

On Saturday morning, Bob V and I inspected the situation.   Yes, the
MF antenna was down.

Downed pole that held one end of the Marconi T MF antenna

>From the paved road to Bldg 1, and standing in front of Bldg 42 (the
tuning shack) we could see that the ant line was still attached to the
West pole and ran through the brush, across the road and continued to
the east.  The line was no longer attached to the feed point of the
pole by bldg 42  The line is about 3 feet off the road surface where
it crosses and had been marked with yellow safety tape. We returned to
the building and proceeded to bring up all transmitters.

Problems were noticed as follows:

Tx A1 3550kc Very high reflected power.

Tx B3 8438.3 High reflected power

PW-15 12B 12993 high reflected power

Tx D4 21050 had high reflected power

A couple other transmitters had marginally high reflected power.

Around 1300 we went into the South antenna field to check the
situation.  We did not observe any twisted transmission lines, but saw
the following:

The 4216 EDZ antenna, used on Tx A1 (3550) was down and draped over
several feed lines in the South antenna trunk.

The antenna feed point was tangled up in the H-frame and there were
broken wires.

We proceeded to cut the 4216 antenna line in several places
(immediately adjacent to the insulators) so the wires could be pulled
off the feedlines. Then I observed that the common support pole for
the 4216 antenna and the MF antenna (this the the farthest West pole
in the first row) was ON THE GROUND.  The 4Mc and the 500kc antennas
appeared to still be connected to the pole.  We had to cut the steel
support cable for the MF antenna so we could clear another set of feed
lines.  We did not have time to examine the pole.

The pole fell approximately to the North.  Parts of the 4216 and are
still up in the h-frame. Following the above work, all of the still
operating transmitters had nominal reflected power. There are now 3
antennas down and out of service: The MF antenna is still connected to
the feed wire, but most of the antenna is on the ground.  We did not
have time to pull it up off the road.

The feed wire is hooked over one of the climbing steps on the feed
pole by the tuning house and it would probably be easy to pull enough
of the ant wire down the pole and tie it off, to get the west ant
section to clear the road.

The MF antenna appears (I think) to be intact, except for the support
at the top of the feed pole (broken insulator?) and the steel support
cable at the east end that we had to cut to clear feedlines. (Possible
quick fixes-Re hang the West section from the tuning house pole to the
West pole and have a temporary "Inverted-L", or find another pole in
the general direction of the east pole to support the east end of the
MF antenna. (until the fallen pole can be replaced or hell freezes
over, whichever occurs first.)

The 4216 ant is down and in pieces. The 8247 EDZ had been down for
some weeks. KSM is off the air on 426/500 CW and 8433 NBDP.  K6KPH is
off the air on 3550.

-----

As you can see, we face a daunting task.  And this does not include
the antenna maintenance required at the receive site where,
thankfully, the antennas survived the storm.  Can you help with this
giant task?  Lots of True Believers have already contributed to the
antenna repair and restoration fund, and for this we offer sincere
thanks - but clearly we now have more work before us than ever before.
If you can help just click on the button below to make a quick and
easy donation.

Thanks!

> MRHS Granted 512Kc!

We suppose there's some irony here with the Marconi T antenna on the
ground, but the Federal Communications Commission has granted KSM,
authorization to use 512kc.

Old timers and those familiar with maritime Morse communications will
recognize 512kc as the frequency to be used when 500kc is occupied
with distress communications.  Part 80 of the FCC rules permits this
frequency to be assigned to coast stations in the maritime mobile
service.

The MRHS applied for this frequency as a sort of lifeboat channel.

We consider 500kc to be the most historic frequency in the radio
spectrum - a sacred spot on the dial.  500kc was the center of marine
communications for decades.   Coast stations constructed elaborate
antennas for 500kc.  They used tens of kilowatts of power, their
signals spanning the oceans on cold winter nights.   Hundreds of well
trained ears, ashore and afloat, monitored 500kc twenty-four hours a
day.  The mundane routine of maritime commerce was heard on 500kc -
until those most electrifying three letters in radio, SOS, rose up out
of the static, a plea for help from a mariner in distress upon the
sea.  Then all normal operation ceased as operators pressed the
earphones close to gather in every word from the distressed vessel.

KSM still stands watch on 500kc.  Our operators scrupulously observe
the silent period twice an hour.  It's a tradition going back to the
early days of radio history.  But there are forces at work that may
eventually threaten 500kc.  There's talk of an augmented NAVTEX system
planned for the frequency.  Others may have other ideas.

We plan to continue operation on 500kc as KSM and KPH always have.
But if the day should ever come when the sacred frequency, and the
memories of the men and women who used it in their hour of need, is
sullied by the presence of another service, well, at least KSM will
have a place to go to carry on the tradition and keep the faith with
those who came before us.

We have to activate 512kc within 12 months of the grant.  Even now the
MRHS Transmitter and Maintenance departments are poring over
blueprints and exercising their slide-rules to determine the best way
to do this.  It's not a matter a spinning a dial and tuning up on the
new frequency.  Even though the new frequency is only 12kc away from
500kc, that's a big percentage move.  We're dealing with a new, high
stability exciter frequency and tuned circuits in multiple stages -
plus the antenna tuning unit in the tuning house at the base of the
Marconi-T antenna.

KSM's transmitter A7 may be used on 512kc

One possibility is to use existing 5kW transmitter A7, a Henry
MF5000D.  Or we may restore another MF transmitter specifically for
512kc.  We have two Harris 5kW MF transmitters from KFS, one of which
is even now being restored to service. being restored.  Either way,
when we are ready to begin testing on the new frequency we'll let you
know so you can monitor and provide us with signal reports.

> Frank Geisel's Report No. 2 - March 1946

In Newsletter No. 49 we presented Frank Geisel's KPH report for
January 1946, soon after the station resumed operation after the war.
This turned out to be a hit among True Believers who asked that we
continue the feature.  So... let's take a look at what FG had to say
in his February, March and April 1946 reports.

In his report dated March 2, 1946 (for February) FG mentioned
composite transmitters 78 & 79.  We have the control panel for one of
these, donated by Denice Stoops after it adorned her bedroom wall for
decades!  FG also archly complains that the Matson liner Monterey, a
RCMA ship, has been giving her traffic to competitor KFS!

During March FG reported that the KPH 126kc transmitter B11
(apparently different from BL11) was returned to service (the 126kc
authorization is still part of the KPH license) for paid press and
traffic lists.  Both the Western Union teletype circuit and the
transmitter control cable failed.  RCMA ships Mariposa and the
"presumably reformed" Monterey continue to use KFS.  FG took a week of
sick leave.

In April FG reported that ex-KHK 2kW transmitter was placed in service
but it proved problematic.  Ships "in the Orient" reported
interference to the KPH 8420kc signal from an unknown teleprinter
transmitter and parasitics from NPO.  Matson liners Mariposa and
Monterey, RCMA controlled ships,  continue to use station KFS of arch
rival MacKay Radio, costing "hundreds of dollars" in lost revenue.
Western Union is routing KPH messages to KSE (RCMA station in Southern
California) which then must relay them to KPH.  KPH had lots of
traffic for government MST ships but they were not contacting KPH to
get it.  FG asked KFS operators (!) to tell these ships that KPH was
holding traffic for them but "cooperation in this respect depends on
the operator on watch".  We'll bet!

> Mini Night of Nights Report

As announced in Newsletter No. 49, at the end of October 2014 the MRHS
participated in a MF-oriented "Mini Night-of-Nights" event in
cooperation with Dr. Fritz Raab.  Here's a report on the evening from
Roy Henrichs of the MRHS Operations Department:

I can provide details of our MF activities for that day, as I was the
commercial operator on watch.  Activities are documented in KSM logs,
which are maintained at the station - I do not have those here at
home, but do have my notes from the evening.

KSM followed our standard published operating schedule until normal
station close (0100Z).  From that time until final close (I do not
have actual time here), we provided continuous press and NOAA weather
broadcasts throughout the evening.  These were announced on 500 kc
(CQ) immediately before beginning of each broadcast, with PX/WX
broadcasts taking place on 426 kc.

KSM maintains a continuous efficient watch on 500 kc at all times of
operation.  However, no  experimental station transmissions were heard
on 500 at any point during the evening.  We did, however, delay one of
our 500 kc CQ's due to likely infringement of ISP.  QRX notice (wait)
was sent on 426 at conclusion of the prior PX/WX broadcast, with
reference to ISP, for benefit of our listeners.
We at MRHS regard 500 kc with a geat deal of reverence, in respect of
its historic use - and are pleased to report that experimental
stations appear to have treated that frequency with the respect that
we believe it deserves.  We continue to encourage use of 500 kc in its
historic context as a distress and calling frequency, including
observation of the historic international silent period (ISP) - and
trust that experimental stations will continue to follow our lead in
that matter.
With 500 kc apparently silent, I spent much of the evening tuning the
band for experimental stations.  500 kc warch continued during this
period (dual receivers used).

At approximately 0303Z, I heard WG2XSV (Vancouver, WA) on
approximately 474 kc, QSA2 QRK3.  I also heard  WD2XSH/20 at the same
time on the same frequency, QSA5 QRK5.  Sent email to both ops, and
received responses from them at our radiomarine.org address.

I also took the initiative to provide reception reports for these
stations on 500 kc CW at the beginning of one of our PX/WX broadcast
CQ's, with statement that we would follow up by email.  This in
recognition of the experimental MF station effort and our
participation in same by listening for these stations.

Our listening efforts were somewhat limited by our own 5KW signal
(from less than 20 miles away) hitting our receivers hard.  Also, I
heard what appeared to be weak birdies at various points in the MF
band.  Whether these actually were loe power experimental stations
engaging in digital communicatons is unknown.  Or, perhaps real
birdies from local BC stations hitting our receivers - as we do not
routinely listen to frequencies other than 500 and 425 kc.

I do recall an email comment from one of the stations I heard
mentioning that he had not been listening closely for our broadcasts -
probably was more focused on hearing/working other experimental
stations.  No problem, fully understood: makes sense!  Please do not
regard this as a complaint - I am just reporting a comment from one of
the stations we heard.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that our operators really enjoyed
working this special event.  It was a very unique, extremely pleasant,
and festive evening at KSM/K6KPH!  And, we were pleased to work with
your group to the extent that we could.  Almost certainly would do
this in future, if feasible.

> Get Your Radiotelegraph License Endorsed at KSM

As always, we offer holders of commercial radiotelegraph licenses the
opportunity to sit the circuit at KSM and have their licenses endorsed
as commercial operators.  As holders of these licenses will be
painfully aware, there is no longer a space on the back for a service
endorsement.  However the MRHS management has at great expense
invested in an official MRHS endorsement stamp which will be applied
to the rear of the license, the information filled in with a genuine
mill typewriter and signed by the KSM Chief Operator.  With this you
will be suitable for employment at any US commercial Morse code coast
station.

What's that?  You say you don't have a commercial radiotelegraph
license?  Well, the MRHS is ready to help you out in that department
as well.  Check out the article below.

> Radiotelegraph License Exams Available Through MRHS
  First exam scheduled for 7 February

Here's the information from Roy B. Henrichs:

In Newsletter No. 49, I reported that MRHS would soon begin
administering FCC Radiotelegraph operators license examinations, as we
had entered into an agreement with the W5YI Group to do so - and, at
the time of publication, were awaiting receipt of credentials and
license examination materials from the W5YI Commercial License
Examination Manager (COLEM).

I am pleased to report that all required materials and credentials now
are on hand - and that we now can schedule the first examination
session. Since the holiday season is in full swing, and because
examinees will need reasonable time to prepare for the exam, we have
scheduled our first examination session for 10:00 AM, Saturday,
February 7th, 2015, at the Point Reyes Fire Station, 4th and B
Streets, Point Reyes Station, CA.

True Believers who intend to take the exam on that date should contact
Roy Henrichs via email: wb6ovv at arrl.net in advance, so that we can
prepare for your arrival. While advance notification is preferred, we
can handle you on relatively short notice - but do need to know your
plans because we will need to print your examination before the day of
the exam.

If, for some reason, that date does not work for you - please be
advised that we plan to offer examination sessions on roughly a
quarterly basis. And, possibly more often if there is sufficient
demand.

Newsletter No. 49 outlines the examination process and provides basic
information concerning the exam. Please note that examination fees for
the elements you plan to take must be paid at the time of the
examination, by money order or certified check payable to the Maritime
Radio Historical Society - or in cash. Please do not send fees in
advance; that keeps things simple for all of us, should last minute
circumstances prevent you from attending.

The original plan still holds: pass your examination in the morning,
and get a Proof of Passing Certificate (PPC). You immediately get full
bragging rights for passing this penultimate examination - and, then
can come out to the station, tour the facilities, and sit the
commercial circuit for the first time that afternoon! File your PPC
with the FCC on the specified form (which we will provide), and get
your permanent license from the FCC by mail.

It simply doesn't get any better than that.

So, the next step is up to you. Let me know if you have any questions
. . . and, we look forward to having you on board soon!

73,

Roy Henrichs

> Radiotelegraph License Exams in the Portland Area

OM Bass wrote with this information for those in the Pacific Northwest:

I am an FCC examiner (with National Radio Examiners) and I administer
the FCC exams.  If any of your members live in the Portland, Oregon
Area I can administer the FCC examinations.

I live just six miles south of Portland in Milwaukie, OR.  My phone
number is 503-860-3777.

I do the exams on a request basis.  Individuals can call and set up an
appointment anytime during the week day.

The Radiotelegraph Operator License is a lifetime license and requires
written exam of FCC elements 1 and 6, and telegraphy elements 1 and 2.
Telegraphy exam element 1 consists of copying code at 16 words per
minute (Five letter/number code groups) and element 2 consists of 20
words per minute, Plain language.

The cost is $125.00 for FCC Elements 1 and 6 and Code elements 1 and 2.

It should be noted that the radio telegraph license is not usable for
repairing or servicing the new GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress and
Safety system) radio equipment.  It requires a FCC GMDSS Maintainer
License. Operating the radios requires a GMDSS Radio Operators
license.

Added information.

I was a Radio officer serving on Military Sea Transportation Service
in the early 50's  and served using CW.    I do recall working a
Russian station in the sea just off Alaska.  As a young and "smart"
radio officer I had the speed key out and decided to pass some traffic
his way.    He returned my "call up" so fast it sounded like a single
tone.  I sent a QRS (send slower) and put away the speed key for the
rest of the voyage.   Some people never learn!!!

In the early 90"s I was working as a Electronics/Radio officer for the
Military Sealift Command  (the new MSTS) and most traffic was sent via
satelite.   That was the day that the equipment malfunctioned and we
needed to pass traffic to the Navy department re the equipment
failure.   So as we were in the Med a call to Radio Casablanca was in
order via CW.   BUT there was no hand key for the equipment.   The
Engineering department of the ship built a key from a few screws and
part of a hack saw blade.  The message was sent and I still have the
"Key."   You never know when CW will be needed.

Maybe more later as this old mind recalls some of the unusual
conditions on board the "Code" ships!

73

Richard (Dick) Bass,  W7SMR
3836 SE Monroe St
Milwaukie, OR 97222
503-869-3777

> Matson Navigation Company Needs REOs!

Yes, we hear it all the time: "What good is the radiotelegraph
license?  Nobody's hiring radio officers anymore!"  Ah, but that's
where you are wrong my friend.  Radio Electronic Officers are in
demand at Matson Navigation Company - and possession of a commercial
radiotelegraph license is one of the requirements!  Copy this from the
current REO aboard Manulani:

MANULANI REO

Jan 11, 2015

We are currently short of R/O's due to picking up Jobs on the Watson
Class MSC ships.

The Matson ships require the R/O endorsement On your USCG papers,
along with several computer certifications Network+ A+ and Security+
or their Microsoft equivalent,  evidence of Electronics training and
Radar endorsement/experience are also required.

The Watson Class ships also require a Windows Server Admin cert and
security clearance.  The best part is 26 days paid vacation for 30
worked.  If you have any interest or know anyone who might contact our
Secretary treasurer Mr. Cliff Walker.  It's mostly a
computer/electronic tech job today, with about an hour a day for GMDSS
tests.

V. Cliff Walker

American Radio Association
Secretary - Treasurer
1600 Rabke Rd.
Canton, GA 30114
walker at araunion.org
770.592.3232 Office
678.522.7363 Cell

If you apply please keep us informed on your progress!  And if you can
figure out where to connect a key to the GMDSS console you can use KSM
to send your traffic!

> Job Opening at the MRHS

We need to be clear about this - we're all still volunteers when it
comes to the restoration, maintenance and operation of KSM and all the
other MRHS projects you have been reading about.  However the Point
Reyes National Seashore has initiated a multi-year project to conduct
a complete inventory of all the equipment and artifacts at both the
transmit and receive sites - a titanic job as you can imagine.  They
have actually provided a budget for this project and part of that
budget is earmarked to pay personnel.

Job title: Collections Inventory Assistant
Location: KPH/KSM receive site, Point Reyes, CA
Hours: 20-30 hours a week, M-F
Pay: $10/hour

Interested?  Great!  You'll get to hang out at a beautiful location,
work with great folks conducting an inventory of classic radio
equipment - and get paid!  Just click HERE for full information and
the job description.

> MRHS Merchandise

Support the MRHS and look cool at the same time. Such a deal!  We've
got hats, mugs, T shirts, belt buckles and bumper stickers, all with
variations of the MRHS logo.  Get a hat and mug for yourself and a put
yourself in solid with the XYL by getting her a MRHS hoodie.

Plus you'll want to be looking sharp when you visit us on Night of
Nights.  No better way to do that than to be rocking some MRHS swag.

Click on the images to go to the True Believers Store

Just click on the images above to go to the MRHS True Believers store
and browse our offerings.  Thanks!

We hope to meet you on the air or in person at KSM.  Until then we
wish you the best of luck and fair winds & following seas.

73,

MRHS

Forward this email

This email was sent to n1ea at arrl.net by info at radiomarine.org |
Update Profile/Email Address | Rapid removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ |
Privacy Policy.

Maritime Radio Historical Society | PO Box 392 | Point Reyes Station |
California | 94956