[600MRG] Andre Kesteloot SK

Warren k2ors at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 06:15:23 CST 2015

I am sorry to hear about the report the passing of André Kesteloot, N4ICK on
January 4.
Many on the list knew André  better than I but for the benefit of those who
did not know him I will summarize my recollections.

Andre was a founder of AMRAD, Amateur Radio Research and Development and led
many of the efforts in digital modes and more relevantly to this group led
the AMRAD LF effort getting the first U.S. LF Experimental license WA2XTF
back in the 1999. As part of the AMRAD LF effort a high performance e-probe
and LF downconverter and operated a long wave beacon on 137kHz. André
participated in the RSGB LF Convention in 2000 and presented the Bobek award
to David Bowman G0MRF for his transatlantic contact with Larry Kaiser.

André  worked for the CIA as an electrical engineer and retired around 2000
or so but was called back to do consulting after the events of 9/11

  I met André only once, I purchased a Decca TX that André  had acquired
from Dave Bowman, Dave having brought it over to the Dayton hamvention. ( I
believe that originally  Harry Woodhouse of Cornwall obtained it from the
Decca station on the Isles of Scilly.)   Deccas being scarce in this
country, I gladly drove the 400+ miles from Boston to the Washington D.C.
area where André  lived. André  was quite the gentlemen and we had a short
conversation about LF and the people involved, he was very complimentary to
the RSGB LF community and particularly to Jim Moritz.
The Decca needed some minor repairs and conversion from 71kHz to 137kHz and
a driver board etc, it is still my primary large 137kHz transmitter. My last
contact was a couple of years ago after I acquired one of the AMRAD LF
transmitters, a Ropex owned by W4RI, André supplied me with the schematic
and information on various modifications.

André will be missed by the LF community.

73 Warren K2ORS