[600MRG] RX antenna tests

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Sun Feb 22 10:58:38 CST 2015

Last nights testing produced some surprises and some compromised data. I
am still trying to refine my test setup and data collection system so I
will probably re-run these early test if/when I get the chance.

The test last night (2/12/15) compared my 600' BOG to a W1VD style
eprobe/active antenna. Like the previous PA0RDT unit, the circuit was
slightly modified to allow separate power and RF output. (Normally these
thing are powered through the coax) Separate connections allow for
additional common mode / ground loop isolation for these tests.

At the start of the test when signals were low, the probe performed as
expected with S/N differences in the same range as the PA0RDT probe. As
the evening wore on, band conditions got VERY good and signal levels
increased to the point where receiver AGC action was compressing the
difference in S/N data. As a result the overall average S/N difference
between the probe under test and the BOG was smaller than it should have
been. Still the trend is valid and obvious.

When the previous test was run, the backup station computer had problems
which limited the amount of data collected. Having fixed that issue,
last nights run produced so much data that I could not handle it. Greg,
W7MY, stepped up and did the data reduction and report generation for
me. The resulting data is shown on my web page:

http://w7iuv.com/630/RXtest2.pdf

AS time and opportunity present, I will be running similar tests on
other RX antenna systems.

73, Larry W7IUV / WH2XGP