[600MRG] Ground variations

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Sat Feb 7 13:26:29 CST 2015

When Rudy's referenced QEX article was first published, I read it with
great interest. It was, and still is, the only method of evaluating
ground characteristics that made sense to me (that I'm aware of).

I never actually tried it for a number of reasons, but the biggest was
that I always installed a very large radial system that reduced the
ground related losses to the bare minimum possible. Unless you are doing
research or evaluating a potential new QTH, it seemed like a lot of
effort for no reasonable return.

Now, with 630 meter antennas and their practical limitations, it may be
time to re-visit this.

The problem I have here is that the type of dry-land grass I have under
the vertical is not compatible with the measurement system. I would have
to move out of the grassed in area. My "dirt" is the inverse of
homogenous, and I'm not sure that anything less than a couple dozen
measurement sites would provide useful data. I will need to re-read the
article and see what, if anything, I can do.

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP