[600MRG] 137 last night

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 11:38:38 CST 2015

Last nights trial run with my newly working QRSS setup was, I believe, a success. Both MP and XES were heard and complete calls visible a couple times during the night. Given that it is roughly a 3000 kM path through the aurora zone between me and New England, I was surprised to see signals that good.
VE7BDQ was also in there, but since John is practically next door, I see nothing exceptional when he almost overloads the RX!
Over the next few days I hope to fine tune the system, so it may be on/off at random times. If anyone wants to to specifically monitor for them, please let me know.
For those who are interested in the nuts and bolts:
My 137 RX system is currently monitoring both 137.5 WSPR and QRSS around 137.777.
The antenna is a 20 foot vertical which was pulled from the junk pile and pressed into service when my tuned loop was damaged in the last wind storm.. The RX is a modified Softrock Lite II with HDSDR processing the I/Q output and providing audio baseband. The audio is hard cabled to another soundcard which feeds WSJT-X and ARGO in parallel. The audio bandwidth is currently set for 3.5 kHz giving me a "tuning range" of 136 to 139.5. However HDSDR lets me "see" a spectrum from about 80 to 172 kHz, not that I can see much there besides switch mode power supplies!
73,
Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP