[600MRG] Ground wave propagation

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Wed Aug 12 14:06:55 CDT 2015

Ground-wave propagation has been of great interest to the BC boys from day
one.  Generally they use standardized charts (derived from Sommerfeld,
Norton, ..).  An example of such a chart is given in Laport's book Radio
Antenna Engineering, page 84, figure 2.2.  A .pdf of this book has been
available for free on-line for many years.  I have a copy of the book I
bought some 60 years ago but I also downloaded the .pdf although I don't
remember from where?  I suspect a quick Google would net a copy.  The chart
in Laport is for 1 MHz but should still be reasonable for 475 kHz.  I
suspect there are whole families of these charts in IEEE and FCC documents
which I haven't seen.  Laport references "FCC Standards of Good Engineering
Practice Concerning Standard Broadcast Stations".

73, Rudy