[600MRG] reformatted question on Path Loss

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Tue Aug 11 18:40:04 CDT 2015

Neil,

I don't think there any path loss formulae for ground wave propagation.

Only formula I know is for free space loss (line of sight):
L = 32.4 + 20log(F) = 20Log(d) in dB, where:
F = MHz and d = km

For 475-KHz = 0.475 MHz:
L= 32.4 - 20.78 + 20Log(d) = 11.6 + 20 Log(d)

d= 249km, L = 11.6 + 47.9 = 59.5 dB
d= 373km, L = 11.6 + 51.4 = 63.0 dB

But this does not predict loss over ground and
curvature of Earth, nor estimate loss for obstructions.
Maybe something was experimentally determined
from early use of MW and LF but it would seem
that other propagation modes would mess up any calculations.

But then the estimate that GW will reach 350mi comes from something.

Most of my professional path loss calculations
dealt in either d = meters or d = millions of
km.  The first usually is near field radiation
which does not behave in the inverse square of
distance (20Logd) and the second one deals with
interplanetary distances on frequencies that can penetrate the ionosphere.

I'd be interested to hear of any calculation for ground wave.

73, Ed - KL7UW