[600MRG] Report for 09-23

James Hollander mrsocion at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 15:02:27 CDT 2014

Hi Merv,

I made some notes to interpret your data.  Thanks for it!

 Even now eastern Canada and USA northeast have a decent shot at delivering decodes on Molokai. SNRs can't help but get better for that path as we progress on into fall.  Good hunting!

73,  Jim H    W5EST

NOTES
9/23/14 interpretation: Receptions at Molokai started within 15 minutes of local sunset SS. Decodes brought in available stations like dominoesin order of increasing distance and decreasing power.

Molokai SS 0423Z.  SR 1617Z.

0438 XSH/20 20w pk -2dB 0636    26sp

0450 XGP      10w pk -9dB 0734    24sp

0518 XIQ        5w  pk -15dB 0710  34sp

0534 XXM      1w  pk  -23dB 0546  24sp

Evidently it took only anhour after SS on Molokai for absorption to subside considerably.  Peak SNRs likewise sequenced in order of increasing distance anddecreasing power, but do not have a time sequence. Different TxPct at different transmitters combined with the different powers and distances to influence number of decodes from each transmitting station.

XJM would probably have been received at Molokai, but XJM was QRT between 0500-0730Z. If XIQpeak SNR at 5W was -15dB, that left another 10-15dB for XJM's 20W or5W power to yield a decode. Before 0500, absorption atMolokai was probably still subsiding so XJM's 20W wasn't decoded by0500. Randomness probably explains why XJM later at 5W wasn't decodedbetween 0730 and XCR rx off 0750Z.

So USA northeast and even eastern Canada have a decent shot at delivering decodes on Molokai.

--end--