[600MRG] More WSPRnet database

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Thu Oct 30 12:45:19 CDT 2014

Lots of suggestions but moat are way too labor intensive for me to consider.

Thanks to John Langridge pointing me toward an archived WSPRnet forum
post ( http://wsprnet.org/drupal/node/2350 ) I re-discovered an old DOS
command that surprisingly still works in Windows 7 64 bit "Command Prompt".

This a very simple solution to the 6 million monthly spot file size that
everybody with a windows computer can use. Type one line and the monthly
file is filtered down to only 475 kHz spots and put in a separate file.
The resulting monthly 475 file contains only a half million spots,
easily handled by Open Office or Microsoft spreadsheet/database apps (
at least on 64 bit machines).

To do this simply download the WSPRnet monthly file and save it to a
local directory. I highly suggest that the target directory is NOT on
the C: drive. You will need to unzip the file usually to the same directory.

Bring up the windows Command Prompt app and change to the same directory
you saved the CSV file in. Then type in the appropriate DOS "FIND"
command with arguments.

On my computer it looks like this:

  F:\excel_files\wsprspots-2014-10.csv>find "0.475"
wsprspots-2014-10.csv>475.csv

This command searches the file "wsprspots-2014-10.csv" and copies all
the 0.475 spots to another file called 475.csv in the same directory.

Now you have a single file which contains all the October 2014 spots for
630 meters. IMHO dealing with a single file is far better than dealing
with multiple split files and using a single DOS command is a whole lot
better than dealing with Linux.

You can also create a file which contains only spots related to a single
station as shown here:

F:\excel_files\wsprspots-2014-10.csv>find "WH2XGP"
wsprspots-2014-10.csv>WH2XGP.csv

Now I have a single file (WH2XGP.csv) which contains all the spots (both
from and to) WH2XGP.

If you look up the DOS "find" command you will be able do a few more
interesting things with it.

Now with the file size issue solved, I am faced with the task of
creating reports detailing interesting data. So far I have spent several
hours looking at spreadsheets and databases and have not been able to
discover an easy way to filter/sort the data I'm interested in. I know
it can be done but it appears to require at the minimum generating
macros and complex database reports and I just don't have the time to
learn that stuff.

Yes I can do simple data sorts in the spreadsheets, but I cannot count
unique callsigns and that is one of my requirements.

A second but equally important issue is filtering out the significant
number of bogus spots. This includes those bogus decodes that find their
way through the simple filters inherent in the WSPR software and
WSPRnet, plus those spots produced by people who don't realize the
software is set to a different band then their radio is set to.

Suggestions for implementing SIMPLE and EASY ways to count unique
callsigns in a spreadsheet (without using LINUX) would be welcomed.

73,

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP