[600MRG] XXM and XSV note

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Tue Oct 28 11:16:06 CDT 2014

Just to add to the 60/120 Hz RFI topic, I encountered a situation
where my 1296-MHz transverter was transmitting 120-Hz sideband
noise.  Immediately suspecting power supply as source I changed to
another supply but it remained.  I checked the ripple level on both
12v PS and they were almost not detectable on my scope -wow!  So
where was it coming from?

My transverter uses a PLL LO locked to an external 10-MHz
high-stability reference osc. (OCXO).  I found the 120-Hz riding on
the reference signal and traced the source to a 1.5 amp wall cube
that I use(d) for charging a large capacity 12v battery to supply the
OCXO.  There was 1.5v 120-Hz ripple on the 13v dc output of the wall
cube (no filtering inside apparently).  I had assumed the battery
would provide some capacitive filtering but not enough.

I switched battery charging source to the station's 50A PS and 120-Hz
disappeared from the 10-MHz and my 1296 MHz output.  Too many dc
power sources are "dirty"!  Of course 60/120-Hz can show up in audio
ground loops, too!  Computers in general are too often RFI
sources.  I found the best computers were laptops with metal cases
(IBM Thinkpads).  Totally RF quiet (especially when run on battery-only).

73, Ed - KL7UW