[600MRG] (Fwd) Re: [RFI] Smoke-alarm Interference - not TVI but SAI

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Wed Oct 22 14:38:06 CDT 2014

I have been using twisted pair harvested from cat5e cable for dc
hookups in the presence of RF for while.  Adds a little rejection to
RFI thru dc contacts to sensitive ckts.  I also add a couple ferrite
beads at the feedthru caps.

Many years ago (1964) when a student employee at college I was tasked
with installing radiation alarms at the cyclotron building outside
entrances to the shielded area that held the "atom smasher".  All was
fine until they fired up the 40-MHz high-power oscillator that drove
the electrodes of the cyclotron (with mega-watts).  ALL the generic
alarms went off together causing a minute of panic, until it was
realized as RFI vs ionizing radiation (one of the rooms had 300 curie
tank of radium in it).

So the next thing I was tasked was with installing ferrites and
bypass caps.  The alarms were powered by individual power supplies
from ac wiring in the building (which made a nice 40-MHz antenna).

The "RF pump" oscillator was interesting as it used waveguide to
drive the cyclotron.  Can you imagine how big waveguide is at
40-MHz?  You can walk thru it.

73, Ed - KL7UW