[600MRG] (Fwd) Re: [RFI] Smoke-alarm Interference - not TVI but SAI

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Oct 22 11:01:34 CDT 2014

OK, Gang, here is a reply I got this morning. Perhaps it will help?

Ken W7EKB
To:	<RFI at contesting.com>
Date sent:	Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:47:16 -0400
Subject:	Re: [RFI] Smoke-alarm Interference - not TVI but SAI

I don't know anything about your issue with the smoke alarms but just after I
moved to Florida and set up my station, I began getting into my next door
neighbor's alarm when it was turned on.  ANY amount of HF rf would set it
off. I discussed this with a friend who lives in Virginia where I had just moved
from. We did a few tests and it appeared that the problem could be solved by
putting bypass caps at the ends of the leads to the KEY PADS located just
inside the front door, inside the laundry room off the garage, and on the
master control box leads to the sensors.  This worked and I have never had
a problem since.  If the issue is with some kind of a wireless system, the
results may vary or the fix might not work at all. But it did here.  '73, -Mike