[600MRG] Smoke alarm update #2

Neil Klagge w0yse.7 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 00:06:41 CDT 2014

Thanks to all those who replied with suggestions.

I went searching online for "smoke detector RFI" and found this page on a
qrz.com forum from May of 2001.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?324789-Smoke-Detector-RFI .

It is a complaint about the Kidde model KN-COSM-1B smoke/co alarm, which is
exactly the one I am having the RFI problem with. These alarms speak
commands "fire fire" or "warning, carbon monoxide...." depending on the
problem being detected. I have two of these and 4 other non-speaking
models. The non-speaking models (Kidde PI2010's) have not been affected by
my transmissions on 630m. I am going to be replacing the offending ones
with the PI-2010 models tomorrow and I expect to have good results.

I might still have to add toroids, but I hope not. Thanks for the bandwidth
on this issue.

Neil Klagge

*​​*

*"I use the original form of social networking: Amateur Radio." *
 *(my ham radio sites are at 'w0yse.webs.com <http://w0yse.webs.com>'  and
'wg2xsv.webs.com <http://wg2xsv.webs.com>' )*