[600MRG] (Fwd) Smoke Alarms

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Oct 21 12:14:13 CDT 2014

Here is the most recent correspondence I have received on the issue of SAI
(Smoke Alarm Interference).

Perhaps this will help?

Ken W7EKB
To:	<kgordon2006 at frontier.com>
Subject:	Smoke Alarms
Date sent:	Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:39:01 -0500

    Ken,

    Not sure if it applies to your situation, but I had my security system (wired) smoke
    detectors replaced.  First, all smoke detectors have a finite lifetime.  On the detectors
    marketed today, the life cycle is even programmed into the battery type units (they give off
    an audible alarm that you initially take as a low battery warning).  On the security system
    units, I was having false trips due to their age which was why I was having them replaced.
    So age might make the detectors more susceptible to RFI.

Secondly, when my new units were installed they were not terminated properly which was
allowing the RFI.  Once we terminated the line properly, the RFI ceased.  I have three
detectors on the same line to the security system which would be the normal installation
configuration.  So I am suggesting that the termination of the smoke detector(s)
connection circuit be checked if applicable.