[600MRG] QRN etc

Merv Schweigert k9fd at flex.com
Thu Oct 16 14:35:34 CDT 2014

I have had a couple nites of heavy duty QRN,  one evening I had a rare
occurance of "static" build up on all my antennas,  severe so to speak,
we have an approaching hurricane to the south east and its on a
possible course to impact us.  So the next few days will see limited
activity for 600M.

Some interesting observations,  a few days ago the band opened very
early,  45 mins before sunset, and copy of the west coast was FB.
that was only the one day.  Then all returned to the more normal band
opening at sunset times.   I see that Ken XXM has made it out again
last nite,  seems last nite were decent conditions in spite of QRN.

Some one mentioned using the MFJ noise canceller,  if you need to null
noise from one source it may work fine,  but does almost nothing if you
have noise from different locations at the same time,   as far as what
I can tell from using one is its best suited for phasing antennas,  works
pretty well for that with the mods that have been linked to.  But you have
to use decent antennas,  it wont make up for poor antennas.
If trying to null noise,  the sense antenna needs to be decent and hearing
the noise as well or better than your regular antenna.

Another thing is it would pay  to take a good look at the Lankford
files and links and some other SWL pages,  these guys are smart
and I find smarter than most hams when it comes to antennas and noise
etc.   There are some good homebrew noise cancellers and phasers on
those sites.  Lot to be learned from the serious SWLers.

Working on transmit here,  broke down and bought a rig expert aa-54,
learning to use it,  my old MFJ259 (no B) and AEA are antique and do
not give me the numbers I need, so hoping the 54 will do the job.
73 and battening down the hatchs just in case..
  Merv K9FD/KH6  WH2XCR