[600MRG] 600MRG interest rekindled... TNX

NMF nmf.marshfield at verizon.net
Thu Oct 16 13:28:33 CDT 2014

Thought a reprint of old e-mail to group was in order to add to the
Dallas Lankford articles...

>/
/>/  There as been some particular new interest in our MF band as to the ways
/>/  that some of us started...
/>/  Here is what little docs I have, self explanatory...
/>/
/>/  Basic Antenna Radiation Resistance nomographs:
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/Reff1.jpg
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/Reff2.jpg
/>/
/>/  Converting SB200 Linear:  Gut the RF components including RFC, input
/>/  network, filiment choke, replace with 500kc. versions XL, XC...
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/SB200A.jpg
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/SB200B.jpg
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/SB200C.jpg
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/SB200D.jpg
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/SB600M1.jpg  Variometer is mounted outboard,
/>/  *_NO D.C._* on vario...
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/SB600M2.jpg
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/SB600M3.jpg
/>/
/>/  IPA is Mitsubishi solid state 150W stereo amp., gutted audio circuits and
/>/  replaced with home brew solid state MF amp. using Power FETS..
/>/  50 clean sine wave watts out...
/>/
/>/  Transmitting converter and Transverter ideas, 10mhz. to 500 kc... Good from
/>/  VLF to HF...
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/TXconverter.jpg  Pull DC off of finals of IC706
/>/  to get +7dbm IF signal directly to balanced mixer...
/>/  IPA is converted Ramsey 5W board...
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/TxVerter2.jpg  Transverter version, self
/>/  explained...
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/TxVerter3.jpg  Finished version of
/>/  transverter...
/>/  10 mhz. L.O. is from GPS RX and IC706 is very stable right to the HZ...
/>/  Used system like this to 10 GHZ. ( 2M IF ) same thing, works good...
/>/
/>/  Loop TX antenna:http://www.radiocom.net/600M/TXloop17.jpg
/>/  This was first try, didn't document current version of 600' rectangular loop
/>/  made from monster dog wire #14 ( e-bay ) shot into high pine trees with
/>/  compound bow, no feed line or insulators necessary, easily tuned with vacuum
/>/  variable, does not detune in WX, insulation is good to corona voltages, is
/>/  inexpensive, works great, no tuner, they sure knew how to do things in the
/>/  20s, who needs 50ohm or feed line, DX TX tested to west coast and SV land
/>/  with this version and converted SB200...
/>/
/>/  Loop receiver amp., active transformer...
/>/  http://www.radiocom.net/600M/417Aloop1.jpg  417As ( valves ) from 2m DX
/>/  days...
/>/
/>/  Latest addition has been to be in RX mode and phase the 600' loop against
/>/  the 1000' BOG in a Dallas Lankford style 'phasor'
/>/  I see 30+ db differences front to back and can cut the noise to almost non
/>/  existent... ( as long as the DX signal is not in the same direction... ;- )
/>/
/>/  This was quite an interesting project as I am retired and the juices really
/>/  flew...
/>/  Hope that this has been some help and answer to e-mails...  Keep America
/>/  hummin!!!
/>/
/>/  73s DE DAVE @ XSH/17  AR/