[600MRG] A report for those who are considering getting active on 630m...

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Oct 12 12:04:20 CDT 2014

 Here's a report for those who are considering getting active on 630m...

I had a lot of fun on 630 meters last night.  Quite a few experimental-licensed stations were transmitting in the WSPR mode, and even more non-licensed stations were receiving and reporting.

Here's a map showing everyone my station heard, or was heard by, on the WSPR mode...

     http://www.wd8das.net/WSPR-WH2XHY.jpg

Here's a map showing everyone that was active on 630m WSPR last night...

     http://www.wd8das.net/WSPRactivity.jpg

Notice the reports from Europe, Alaska, and Hawaii.  Very cool!

I also had two CW contacts with Pennsylvania and Texas experimental stations.  I had a *lot* of trouble remembering to use my experimental callsign rather than my ham call, especially when the software I was using (to generate CW by tones into the SSB rig) kept trying to be helpful by inserting my ham callsign into each transmission!  I didn't notice the error at first - after nearly 40 years with that callsign it always looks 'right' to me.  Sheesh... I'd better stick to hand-sent CW.

Details on my 630m station...

     http://www.wd8das.net/630m.html

Steve WD8DAS / WH2XHY

sbjohnston at aol.com