[600MRG] WH2XGP operations update

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Thu Nov 27 19:23:49 CST 2014

Between the dissipation of the morning frost and the mandatory
participation in T-day nonsense, I managed enough time to disassemble
the vertical. As expected, the problem was with the center loading coil.

After performing forensic analysis on the deceased coil, it was
determined that its demise was caused by a combination of WX and
operator error.

Recent WX conditions caused an unexpected amount of condensation to form
in certain critical areas which in turn resulted in arcs and carbon
track shorts.

The operator error was, as usual, the result of laziness and hubris. I
did such a good job on the 400 watt SSPA that it can tolerate greater
than 20:1 VSWR indefinitely with no degradation (to the amp). So why
bother to hook up the high SWR trip circuit, right? Well, even though
the amp can handle it, the antenna system couldn't. If the SWR trip was
operational, the small arcs would have extinguished before any permanent
damage was done to the coil.

The coil is toast. It is going to have to be cleaned up and rewound. I
will also try to minimize the effects of the inevitable condensation we
get in this area during the winter months.

Between the holiday nonsense and other projects that need attention, I
expect the rebuild to take a minimum of two weeks. After the coil is
rebuilt, I will need some decent WX to reassemble the vertical and put
it back up. These old bones just don't work so good in cold temps these
days....

I will try to put a WSPR RX only temporary system in place that I can
leave run while working on everything that needs attention while the TX
antenna is down.

73,

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP