[600MRG] RAKs and such - ballast tube.

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 08:31:23 CST 2014

Hi,

That was a fear during the wars. I wonder just how far we can DF an
oscillating regen detector. Every time this comes up I ask for citations
of ship logs or action reports stating that first contact with an enemy
was by detection of their receiver. None have ever been offered.
Probably never happened. We know that transmitters were DF'ed. On the
sea we might DF a transmitter or hear machinery noises well before any
oscillating detector could be DF'ed. Radars and better sonars make all
of that a moot point today.

One of the reason those rf amps were added (and have a look at the
shielding) was to prevent this. On  war ships there may be more than one
radio in use - we don't want them interfering with each other. I cannot
hear the detector of my RAK with an LM nor a superhet inches away from
the RAK. I have intentionally coupled antenna wires from the LM or
superhets near the antenna on the RAK and even put the end of that wire
into vent holes in the RAK cabinet. NADA. The RAK can certainly hear the
superhets and the LMs. During the wars when regens were in vogue there
were many straight (cheaper) regens in use, especially on merchant
ships. Those can be heard up close. Still no battle reports of regens
being first contact. Not even a mention of "heard their regen while
closing". It may be that some regens gave away the location of some
'resistance' radio users ashore. That may or may not show up in logs and
reports - but I haven't seen those either. Many of them were listening
for AM signals and the detector need not oscillate for that. We know
their transmitters were routinely DF'ed. Rumors and bad dreams don't count.

So, once again. Does anybody have citations that I can verify
(Smithsonian, etc) that clearly state first contact was via an
oscillating regen?

Regens really are "great".

73,

Bill  KU8H