[600MRG] RAKs and such - ballast tube.

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 21:26:34 CST 2014

Hi Sandy,

I have a different view about those logging scales. I took some time to
carefully measure the frequency of a modest series of points along the
dial(s) and put them into a spread sheet. The spread sheet then printed
me a very nice, slightly curved line chart with frequency on one axis
and the dial numbers on the other. You mentioned being able to set it
for a frequency and it's right there. I screwed up a few times and set
it for exact zero beat! I didn't hear the station until I moved off from
zero beat <grin>.

The dials that work exactly the same way as our logging dials but have
operating frequencies where the logging scales should be (like the ones
on the command receivers) are exactly no different. When parts in your
radio age so that the "frequency" scales are off you're screwed. If you
have a logging scale just whiz up a new tuning chart! Life is good
<grin>. My charts are in nice, colored plastic folders and are kept
beside the radios. Often used frequencies (sub-band end markers) are on
something similar to the cards that were in the holders on the front
panel. Using the logging scales is so easy that even *I* can do it. You
can also just keep the spread sheet running on the computer and when you
find a new station just plug in the logging scale numbers and it
presents you with the frequency. Or vice verse.  Just I don't like
having the computer there.

Pristine? My RAK happens to be pretty but I have never seen "pristine"
on a schematic or a block diagram. Apparently that contributes nothing
to receiving (or transmitting). I'm not pristine any more either but I
still work pretty good.

73,

Bill  KU8H