[600MRG] RAK and RAL

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 21:08:45 CST 2014

Hi Ken,

The meters in my RAK are both good. I keep mine dB meter turned off
unless I want to use it. It's laboratory grade instrument isn't it?
<evil grin> I did notice how sensitive it is. I sometimes am interested
in how much above the noise an incoming signal is. I back down the gain
and then sneak up to get the noise give me a reading and then see where
the signal moves it. Those are decibels and you can just subtract - at
least that's what I do. After the reading I turn it back off.

An interesting observation is I can easily copy signals that do not
increase the meter movement above the noise.

Power supplies are not too difficult to make but with all the crap on
the power lines we can't overlook the filtering required to clean that
up, too. It's apparently not all that difficult but does take a few
parts and the time to install them. Standing back and throwing parts at
a B+ supply plugged into the AC mains is a poor idea.

73,

Bill  KU8H