[600MRG] RBA's and RAK's

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 23:32:07 CST 2014

Hi Rudy,

I have one of those RAKs, too. I didn't know that I can't feed WSPR with
an audio spectrum shifted down to fit through the filters. I am not
going to defeat the filters in the RAK. I'll go to the BC453 after I get
the power supply rebuilt. This time I'll feed regulated DC to the
heaters AND the B+. I know for sure the BC453 was shifting the frequency
when the power line load changed. I could watch traces on the waterfall
display making small, slow waves as it wandered around and sometimes
jumped when my beer cooler fridge or the furnace blower motor kicked on.
The regulated supplies will take care of that.

I have not been fussy enough setting up the radios in the belief that
putting the WSPR signals in the middle of the rx passband and adjusting
the radio dial to put that spectrum into the WSPR machine would work. I
assumed that getting the WSPR signal into the sound card anywhere in
it's operating range would allow it to decode even if it reported the
wrong frequency. Eventually I'll get around to trying it on my BC453 or
the Kenwood in SSB mode after I get a converter working. The RAK is
clearly not going to make it on WSPR even though the power line voltage
excursions do not move the traces on the waterfall. It already regulates
the B+. I understand the RAL does not have the audio low pass filter
that is always inline with the RAK. The front panel filter selections
may be turned off on both radios. RAL goes down to around 200 or 300 kc
if I recall correctly (I don't have one).

73,

Bill  KU8H