[600MRG] WD2XSH/31 for Sat night...

Brian, WA1ZMS wa1zms at att.net
Sat Nov 1 21:15:06 CDT 2014

Due to a long list of unexpected family daytime tasks and trips, the Paragon
and such did not get the time on the repair bench that I wanted them to get.
However, the homebrew MOPA has been dusted off & powered up and while I am
exhausted from running around a 6-acer corn maze today (!), I will let the
MOPA run CW beaconing on 477.9 +/-chirp all night.  The thing WILL drift and
I'll do my best to keep an eye on it thru the night if possible. I'll watch
it for the 1/2 hour then I need sleep. Keep in mind this would have been the
sound of a high-end CW rig in 1921.  The raw CW keyed power oscillator
Paragon was the ham's buy-from-QST alternative. Ask Eric how hard it was to
copy the Paragon as the chirp is so bad that the "dits" just are too far off
frequency to hear unless you have a S9+20 signal.  How they made QSO's in
that era is amazing. I hope to run AM-mode and/or a QSO or two on Sun night.
Just too much going on this weekend. That Paragon was an unplanned
time-sink. But at least it made a QSO 90 years later.

73,

-Brian, WA1ZMS/4 & WD2XSH/31 with MOPA chirping on 477.9kHz