[600MRG] Definition needed - V/m

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 12 18:24:47 CDT 2014

On 12 Mar 2014 at 15:02, Glen Zook wrote:

> It is the field strength measured at various distances from the antenna. There
> are specialized receivers calibrated to do this. These receivers use specific
> antennas, specific feed line lengths, and so forth. The "S" meter is calibrated
> in the microvolts per meter. I do have one of these receivers and special
> antenna. However, it is for the 375 MHz to 1000 MHz range!

I found a very short definition in the NM-20B manual: "One volt per meter is
equivalent to a potential of one volt induced in an antenna having an
effective length of one meter."

So, I'll use that.

I'll bet the 375 to 1000 MHz "meter" you have is either the Stoddart NM-50,
or the military equivalent, the AN/URM-17.

This page:

http://online.sfsu.edu/hl/src.html

will give you some information. I have manuals for most of those shown
there.

I am actually quite pleased that my AN/URM-6(*) 3 foot diameter loops are
resonant at 500 KHz. I intend to put one up asap for receiving on the 600
meter band.

I'll eventually mount it on some sort of rotator so I can tune for youse guys.

The only thing I am not sure about is whether it would be better to mount it
on top of our roof, or down closer to the ground.

Ken W7EKB