[600MRG] Noise issues.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Mar 11 17:50:10 CDT 2014

Gents:

I am being plagued by a 20db over S-9 noise level on 80 meters, worse as
one goes lower, somewhat better as one goes higher, but still a steady S-
9 on 20 meters.

I propose to begin the search for the source, or sources, by integrating
one of my excellent Stoddart loops (3 feet diameter and 6 inches
diameter) into the borrowed FT-890 I presently am using.

The Stoddart loops are fed with twin-ax, but the FT-890, of course,
connects via an SO-239.

What do you suggest I use to connect the two? A balun? Or can one simply
short the two "hots" in the twinax together and connect the shield and
that connection to a PL-259?

Ken W7EKB