[600MRG] A better explanation of the need for emcomm fallback modes.

Pat Hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Tue Mar 4 20:20:44 CST 2014

Thanks for all the notes showing me my incomplete explanation for the need
to eliminate the reliance on digital systems immediately during a disaster.

The rhetorical question on why government digital radios fail in disasters
was from remembering the local retired-general CD-director lamenting he had
millions of dollars of radio equipment but had to rely "on a radio ham"
after Katrina.
Digital government (must be encrypted) radio, as it was explained to me, is
based on everything going through one tower, and then being linked out to
the addressed radio.
When any "thing" (antenna, feedline, tower, receiver bank or individual
receiver, encryption/decryption computer, transmitter, duplexer, or live
operator (if provided for)) fails - the message is lost.

After the portable cell phone towers on trailers arrive, if the teenagers
can be kept off the channels, then we hams aren't necessary any more.

The ham who =>before the cell phone trailers arrive<= can get a wire off the
side of a still-standing building, light pole, tree, or an NVIS wire just
above ground and get a message out with a leaking car battery =>before the
cell phone trailers arrive<= fills that can't-be-planned-for gap.
His messages will set up the digital channels to be used on MF or HF or VHF
Tropo or whatever works.

One of the "hooks" that the justification for the early experimental 600
meter license requests were submitted with was:
MF ground wave relays could withstand a massive ionospheric event such solar
events that take out HF and fry satellites, or an EMP designed to disturb
the ionosphere making the target country defenseless.
Yes, this is the original "relay" part of the American Radio Relay League.
That is also why one experimental station out west developed a transportable
600 meter antenna system and deployed it for tests.

If (WHEN?) New Madrid lets go again, and all the big power transmission
towers are down and shorted out from the gulf coast to Illinois, and the
Mississippi runs backwards again, I hope your city power is safe.

Off-the-Wall-Notes:
The piezoelectric power released when the New Madrid shift happens will
cause a pulse discharge never seen since electronics were invented.
The road/bridge destruction will require coordinated food supply by
helicopters.......

Seven 630 meter Kilocycles may not be the answer,
but - ground wave CW/digital experience- who knows?

Thanks for reading this.
73,
Pat WD2XSH/6