[600MRG] WD2XSH/14 operation this week

pbunn pbunn at matrixei.com
Tue Mar 4 11:25:45 CST 2014

I hate to say this , but all this chatter about modes on a new ham band seem to me to be" much about little". I have seen no recent evidence that the band will happen any time soon?. Have I missed something?

Unless the appliance manufacturers add the band to the appliances, there will be little activity after the first month or so.  It will be indeed an experimenters band and I certainly hope that it remains so.
No voice will eliminate 90 % of the appliance operators and the problems of man mad noise  and large transmitting antennas will take out most of the others.

Why on earth would the band even be considered as an emergency communication band? There are other bands that are  far superior, as well as other modes of communication. I work on the power side of a major city's emergency communication system. The systems are not unreliable - not even close. They are far superior to any amateur system that can, or will be developed and they are not the result of throwing money at a problem. Since 911, most major cities have put together vast systems for communication that have their own RF systems and  well designed, redundant power systems.

If these systems fail, I seriously doubt that any amateur effort will still be useful, and certainly not a 7 KHz slice at 600 meters. The people that run these systems are not a bunch of ignorant government workers. I find them to be very good at what they do and backed up by the top communication companies.

Sorry, but I have little confidence in Ham Radio as a communication system for serious emergencies. In fact, I find it amusing that anyone even considers it. The times are not changing, they changes quite a long time ago. The FCC understands that. The FCC has little interest in amateur radio in general,  nor is how a 7 KHz slice of band will be used.  The only way they might get interested is squabbling over band plans or interference with the power companies systems.

Sorry, but that  is the way that I see things. I suggest that we have fun doing what we are doing.  I am not sure that there ever will be a 600 meter ham band.

Pat
N4LTA
WG2XLP
WG2XCT