[600MRG] Thoughts on bandplans

Pat Hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Tue Mar 4 10:08:03 CST 2014

First,
If digital is so reliable for emergency, why is it that the high-price
digital radios installed on government contracts to government specs fail?
In my humble opinion, they have too many points of failure.
Hams have a reputation for getting the message through because hams are
self-trained operators.
We care about getting the message through, the subject-matter-experts assume
communication is magic just throw money into.

I really would like to see a video of a true "digital" station running from
nails pushed into lemons - it would prove me wrong.
("Reduction to Absurdity" is the figure of speech above, but if you read the
accounts of British prisoners of war in WW2 camps it is not too
far-fetched).
(Can we spell Crimea?)

Second,
The easy point of entry for the curious ham to a new MF band will be CW.
Otherwise how does he know which digital mode is in use when they all sound
like carriers when they are narrow-band ?
Really, when I got back on 160 CW I went to 1805, now the CW is above what
used to be the top of the segment we could operate in the 100 watt limit
days.

Third,
How much digital can you copy listening to the change in the character of
the tone of noise?
I have seen an older ham using 180 shift RTTY who could copy a CQ in his
head, so some of it can be done.
With a poor antenna in a noisy city, (even with DSP) that becomes the only
way to communicate.

We are hams and have chosen to be for individual personal reasons.
I believe I am a 73 year old high-performing-autistic person.
I can communicate on CW because it matches my ability.
The "normal" people are not going to spend time alone and $$$ creating an
experimental station just to beacon.
If they use ham radio at all, they will become the "Rag-chewers with
Rice-boxes". (Voice or keyboard).

Please don't make "no-CW" bands.

The real solution is beyond me - but please take these things into account
in a decision.

73,
Pat W5THT & WD2XSH/6