[600MRG] Radiation Resistance Question from XSV

Ralph Hartwell w5jgv at w5jgv.com
Sat Mar 1 18:29:26 CST 2014

> If I were to add a loading coil, say about half way up the vertical
section
> of my top loaded 630m antenna, would the Rr remain the same, even tho'
> the base loading coil would need less inductance?

The Rr would increase since you have elevated the loading coil, but you will
require more inductance for the elevated coil than you will need for the
base loaded system. That means the resistance loss of the elevated coil will
increase, thereby eating up more of your expensive RF power going to the
antenna. Of course, if you have a big amplifier and don't mind the increased
electric cost, you just throw more watts at the antenna.

Pat, W5THT, WD2XSH/6, used a large elevated coil at the top of his vertical
where the loading wires are connected, and that seemed to work quite well
for him. I opted for a honking big high-Q base loading coil on my antenna
since I cannot easily break my vertical antenna into sections.

EZNec is your friend!

Best DX & 73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7