[600MRG] New band, XSH expiration

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Jul 13 15:19:49 CDT 2014

Fritz and all:

That sounds like a reasonable approach.  I have been largely absent
in transmitting for awhile but intentions are still
good.  Ground-plane is "rolled up" for summer right now but by end of
September it should be unfurled and ready for operating thru this
coming winter.  I still have no transmitting equipment for <490 KHz
so it may be the last opportunity to run my K3 + NDB 100w Tx on 495.

One thing we lack in the existing license is authorization to use
JT65 and variants.  I could pursue an independent experimental
license asking for this, or continue with WD2XSH/45.  Of course the
perfect solution would be authorization of ham radio on 630m.  I do
hope that will be at 5w ERP vs 1w.  currently, I am capable or 4.15w ERP.

Regarding 472-479 KHz operation I will just have to make time to
design and build a transverter.  Elecraft has updated the firmware on
the K3 to allow transverter operating with 10-MHz IF, so a
transverter using a high-stability OCXO on 10-MHz and the K3 running
10.472-10.479 MHz is very doable.  I believe 7-MHz was also added for
transverter IF on the K3.

I have implemented firmware improvements on my KX3 such that
receiving seems acceptable below 500-KHz.  Direct comparison between
my SDR-IQ (which tunes to 500-Hz) and the KX3 seem equivalent.  KX3
cannot transmit on 630m.

So this may be the last year for the ARRL Experimental License and
use of 495-510 KHz.  May it be a good one!

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
PS: Rudy your Seaside 600m presentation went well at our hamfest,
yesterday.  Took just over an hour.