[600MRG] MF night of nights by KSM

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Sun Jul 13 08:05:22 CDT 2014

Yes, KSM was on the air this year on HF.

On 426 kHz KSM "gives over" the frequency to KPH once a year for "Night of
Nights" - probably this year since KSM and KPH are both assigned 426 they
co-identified.

This year on HF they're all identifying as KPH / KSM / KFS - I've never
heard them do this before.  Any time I can hear a 3 letter USA call sign on
WT (Morse Radiotelegraphy), I love to hear it.

You understand why when you take over KPH's transmitter and antenna you get
a license for KSM and ask for the same frequency as KPH.

The other frequencies listed use "KFS" transmitters - KFS had one that was
on 22515 that had this great bell shaped note - it was a former Press
Wireless transmitter, Don de Neuf, WA1SPM was president of Press Wireless
and I used to work him above 14,100 - that was the area where SOWP held
it's nets and the old sparks hung out.  Curious, I heard Hank Warner from
Maine - W1HRQ with the same bell shaped modulation on his FT-101 - he put a
1 mfd cap across the key line to make it ring like that.

So KSM was on!

73
DR