[600MRG] Any FCC news on 600m?

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Thu Jan 2 11:34:26 CST 2014

Since the FCC seems to pay the most attention to the ARRL on matters pertaining to amateur radio, I have periodically encouraged the leaders of the League to pursue the new 600m band.  I think those who are members of the League and care about the new band should do so as well.

I know this frightens some hams - "if we bother them they might get mad" is a common view - but making our views known in a pleasant way should not be a problem for a member-oriented organization.  It is a good thing, not a negative.

 I have written variously to my ARRL director, the League president, chairman, counsel, etc messages along the following lines:

Is there anything new happening on the idea of establishing a new 600-meter ham band (around 475 kHz) in the U.S.?  I know that the latest WARC conference made it do-able and that some countries are moving ahead with various allocations.  I'm ready:  I have a great receiving setup running, and an ex-maritime transmitter ready for use - I am eager to get active on medium-wave as soon as operation is authorized.  I encourage the League to press the FCC for a new allocation at 600 meters as soon as possible.  Thanks...

In each case the response has been positive and encouraging, citing delays at the FCC as the only problem.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.