[600MRG] WD2XSH/20

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Sun Feb 23 16:25:22 CST 2014

It looks like my internet connection held up last night for WSPR reporting
but it's still flaky.  Right now I have local small time local operation
with a 5 GHz link.  When it works I get <6 Mb/sec but their tech service is
very slow, sometimes days!

That's ok, next Thursday I've got the cable company coming to give me their
service.  The promise (??) >30 Mb/sec.  We'll see how they do.  They've been
very good with the TV service.

I'm busy rebuilding my transmit antenna.  The ice didn't break any wires but
the leverage of the forces at the top of the poles actually shoved the pole
bases out of place a bit tilting the poles so I've had to straighten all the
poles.  The problem was after planting the poles, even with vigorous
tamping, the soil around be bases was not really consolidated and we were
having a drought here so all winter we had very little rain to help the soil
firm up.  Of course the ice load came before the heavy rain!  Things a much
more solid now however.

That's done and now I'm redoing the antenna itself.  This time I'm going to
use less top loading and reduce the horizontal wire length from 1200' to
500' which will greatly reduce the loading if there's another icing event.
That will reduce my efficiency a bit but not seriously and I have plenty of
reserve power anyway.  I hope to be back on by next weekend depending on the
weather.

73, Rudy