[600MRG] Super Chocker

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Feb 21 18:53:24 CST 2014

Hi David

Palomar is likely the most expensive souurce for those ferrites and either
Mouser or Digi Key the better choice.

The Fair-Rite part is 2643803802 but is far from ideal at 600M; it isnt even
great on 160.

The 31 mix is the "in thing" these days on 80M and lower and its part is
2631803802.

I suggest reading  the links below on how to address common mode.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf

I havent found any common mode problem that couldnt be solved by no more
than 2 of those cores and enough turns depending upon frequency. Adding
another choke several feet away is more effective than stacking 5-7 and
using an intermediate ground rod or three at intervals is often very
effective. See ON4UN's Low Frequency DXing 5th edition for indepth
discussion..

At 600M power levels RG-58, 8X, 42 and 400 should take care of everything
and get lots of turns.

I use 31 mix to 20M and 43 from there to 2M at 1200-1500W and all over the
house for noisemakers.

Carl
KM1H