[600MRG] Modes?

John Andrews w1tag at charter.net
Sat Feb 8 15:36:38 CST 2014

Jim,

Should this become a ham band here in the U.S., I would expect some
PSK31 activity. A lot of software supports it, and people are used to
it. As you indicate, a linear amp is needed for PSK, and that will be a
limitation. Also, forward error correction has proven to be very
valuable with the noise and fading at these frequencies, and PSK31 lacks
it. The CMSK program by ZL2AFP is an alternative for non-linear PA's,
but it honestly hasn't proven to be all that robust under real band
conditions, despite its success "down under".

There are a bunch of other modes suitable for ragchew QSO's, such as
MFSK and THOR that have FEC, and don't require a linear PA. Unless we
get to the point that linear PA's  are common, like on HF, I suspect
that the various FSK modes will be more popular than the PSK variants.

John, W1TAG