[600MRG] Tree-Tenna Isolation Transformer - Info

Andy - KU4XR ku4xr at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 19:30:36 CST 2014

Well, I certainly didn't expect to get the flurry of replies that came in wanting info..
I'll give you all that I know, and could dig up.. First, the toroid came out of a dead
SMPS.. The windings are exactly as they were when I pulled it from the board..
There are 3 windings of about an #18 guage enameled wire, and a 4th winding on
top of the other three.. It looks to be about a # 22 guage enameled wire..
The 2 red colered windings soldered into the Hot, and Neutral lines, and the
gold colored winding was in the ground line.. As mentioned, the other winding is
wound on top of the other three .. kind of a lump winding..
Each of the primary windings have a measured Inductance of 6 µH , and the
secondary - lump winding measures 95 µH .. The toroid is of the Green / Blue
variety, and is evidently a Micro Metals product.. They list it as a T106-52 toroid..
High permeability - U = 75 , Al value = 124 , good from DC to 1 MHz ,
100 turns will produce 700 µH of Inductance.. I used 1 of the AC windings to go
to the radio, and the Secondary - Lumped winding goes to the lead-in wire..
BTW, I plan to do coax, and transformers on each end in the future, but still
experimenting for now.. One side of the secondary winding connects to the
lead-in wire, and the other side connects to earth ground.. The primary winding
has one side to the center pin of the coax jumper, and the other side to the shield..
The Tree-Tenna will hear with the transformer in the line by itself, BUT.. adding
series Inductance will peak it for the frequency you want to receive..
As far as turns ratio, I have absolutely no idea about that.. That's all the info. I
can supply right now.. Hope it proves useful to someone..

73: Andy - KU4XR