[600MRG] Distance from powerline question - new approaches

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 04:59:39 CST 2014

Hi Pat,

Well I have started working on some of these same issues. The noise
problems where I live are not as severe as some of the trouble that is
reported by some of our friends on here. There are infrequent episodes
of "S-8" to maybe "S9+" noise of various types and various parts of some
of the bands. I have not had noise wipe out entire bands or worse - all
of HF! Still it is sometimes a problem for me. I am playing with
reworking the radios, the antennas, DSP, and even SDR approaches. I'm
reading between the lines when anybody reports any experimental results
to see if anything can be adapted for relief for us. I have a Kenwood
R-599 that is rather easily overloaded and I have made some dramatic
improvements even with that radio at least sometimes. Part of it is the
way I operate the radio, part of it is the antenna, and I even use SDR
software with it - and no it has not not been modified for SDR operation
(or at all). No single thing I have tried has been the sliver bullet but
taken together some of those things might give us a chance. I have been
able to copy DX stations with some of those tools when I couldn't
otherwise hear Ohio! There seems to be a lot of subtle little things
instead of one silver bullet (unless dropping out of ham radio counts).

Your idea just got added to my heap. As with all all of the above
measures there are multiple ways to utilize and recombine the
'ingredients'. When the regulators relegated us hams to the useless
spectrum of 200 meters and down we did not roll over and die. We ain't
going to now, either!

I have not done much 'computer programming' for a long time. I have just
acquired some inexpensive microcontrollers named Arduino, ATtiny, and
Raspberry Pi that could be extremely helpful implementing solutions -
including your remote receiver idea. They have renamed and relocated
everything about programming so I have to learn new uses for some of the
same old words. The dumb asses. We already had words for all of those
things. Forget about Pac Man and "office suites". Some of these
'computers' can do some of that stuff but these are more about
nitty-gritty, under the hood work in *other*, non computer systems. All
of these things cost under $100 and some are under $10! As for quick
relief from me - well I'm only just statrting. I have noticed the light
at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming freight train and I don't know
how much time I have left. I learned to stop looking at that light <evil
grin>.

I already know there are people who detest anything with SDR or DSP in
the name. There are more ways than one or two to take advantage of those
and they really help. So get over it!

I have looked at some of the contests and other on-air events. Many of
them allow a remote receiver if it's the only one used for the entire
event AND most often within the same region - a few miles from home.
Your idea has a lot of merit and there are multiple ways to implement
it. Anybody else?

73,

Bill  KU8H