[600MRG] Propagation predictions.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Fri Dec 5 22:20:23 CST 2014

Ladies and Gents:

I am experimenting with a propagation prediction package of software
which was originally developed by Greg Hand when he worked for, first,
VOA, then NOAA.

The original name of the package was VOACAP, and included several
adjuncts which were very helpful.

Greg has allowed the entire package to be included in the Airmail package
of digital communications, primarily PACTOR in its various iterations,
for handling traffic via NTSD (NTS Digital) means.

I have been using it for the past couple of years to predict the best
paths for me to make reliable contact with my various TCC
(TransContinentalCorps) schedules for NTS traffic handling, and have come
to rely on its accuracy.

I only today discovered that it also works for 479 KHz.

FYI, one must update the SFI (Solar Flux Index) or sun spot numbers for
the day each day. Furthermore, one CAN input your particular antenna
parameters, which increases the program's accuracy. The default
calculations of path quality and reliability are built on a dipole and
100 watts output from the transmitter.

I have and have used W6ELPROP, but find this package to be more accurate,
and far easier to use.

The program calculates the most likely path between your own station and
any other SINGLE station. You must input the grid-square or lat/long of
the target station, and your own parameters. Doing that is very easy to
do.

So...what I am asking from you all is your amateur radio call, OR your
own grid square or lat/long and your QTH.

I will then build a list of stations which will be only those of our
group.

I can then predict most likely paths to particular stations.

I can also, with a little more work, provide path predictions from any
station to any station, if you would be interested in that information.

One thing I have noticed here that is very interesting to me is that
propagation on 479 KHz is often slightly better than that on 160 meters
at the same times between the same stations.

However, much of this MAY be because the program is using a 1/4 wave
vertical at 600 meters for its calculations. I have to check on this
before arriving at any definitive conclusions.

So, the ball is in your court now, folks. Let me know if this would be
helpful.

vy 73,

Ken W7EKB