[600MRG] wow - quiet the turn around over night!

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 09:23:18 CDT 2014

Condx last night started off looking pretty poor, similar to the previous session.  The stations that usually hear my signal well in the upper midwest had none of it.  It probably did not help that there was a large lighting complex reported by bliztortung somewhere around Ohio.  When XXM, who is only 200 miles away, was not hearing my signal, which I am reporting as about 4w ERP, I knew it was going to be bad.  Additionally, in the ON4KST logger, XJM was reporting very poor condx on HF on paths that are typically quite robust.

I didn't bother to set the alarm for an overnight CQ session on CW but maybe I should have.  Conditions much later seemed to turn around quite significantly, with numerous reports from XGP here, including one very late report at 1148z, just 7 minutes before my official SR...Remarkable because Larry and I historically stop hearing one another when first light breaks here on my end of that path.  You can set your clock by it.

In the past I have observed some of the best condx at the onset of some of these solar/GMF events but this one seems to be lagging around on the back end.  There was no observed enhancement here at onset but I believe that the recent events happened early in daylight local time.

So maybe tonight will be continued improvement and we can get back to what has been an incredible summer on 630m...

73!

John XIQ