[600MRG] My Tree-Tenna Experiment - 8-13-2014

KU4XR ku4xrradio at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 20:40:27 CDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Merv Schweigert <k9fd at flex.com> wrote:

> Do not see how this is any comparison at all,  if you are tuning the wire
> when connected to the tree,  for a fair comparison you would have to
> retune the wire again after disconnecting,

Hi Merv: Thanks for the comments.. I have Re-Tuned the short wire
after seeing what
happened when disconnecting it from the tree.. Doing so; the noise level rose by
2 S-units on 474.200 KHz.. I won't be able to check the difference on
the signal from
the radio station until Thursday afternoon, when it's back on the air,
and skywave at
the minimum for the day... This has been an ongoing experiment for a few months,
just for fun, and just to see what happens... I found out immediately,
after disconnecting
the wire from the tree, that the short wire is a " house noise "
magnifier !! When TV's
come on; reception is obliterated with the " wire " un-terminated..
This brings back to
my mind a comment from another post made on my experiment, being that
the tree is
most likely just a resistive termination point in the way I am
connecting to it..

Interesting !! This has me wondering if I were to drive in a ground
rod, and connect a
variable resistor in series with it, and the " wire " ; if I could
adjust the resistor for a value
that would yield the same results as the termination to the tree ??

No Doubt !! The short " wire " - IS - the pick-up element in the
equation.. However, the
termination to the tree made it a much quieter receiveing antenna than
it is un-terminated..

73:

Andy - KU4XR