[600MRG] My Tree-Tenna Experiment - 8-13-2014

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Wed Aug 13 20:40:13 CDT 2014

Andy,

Stew Perry, W1BB experimented with a submerged beverage to see what he
could hear.  I began playing around with insulated wire placed on salt
water marsh grass and later submerged wire in brackish but mostly salt
water.

I (and Stew) observed a good signal strength when the wire was on the
ground (marsh grass) but much weaker when submerged.

However, the signal to noise ratio was much improved when the wire was
submerged.  With a pre-amp, I was able to hear low power European signals
that I could not hear otherwise.  This is back in the 1970s.

73
David N1EA