[600MRG] Fwd: My local noise - more info...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Sep 22 19:24:40 CDT 2013

On 22 Sep 2013 at 17:07, William E. Isakson wrote:

> Ken, Your low 50 foot wire, while perpendicular to the power lines is not
> really orthogonal to it.  To be orthogonal the end needs to point right at
> it, that is, it could be up at the same height as the wire and
> perpendicular, or it could be perpendicular and sloping so that the end
> points at it.   Even at that, you are, as you said, still in bed with it
> because orthogonal things still get some crossover, but that would minimize
> it.  The only other thing you could also do is set up a second voltage
> probe antenna a distance from the first one, or better, use two verticals
> on a line perpendicular to the voltage wire, and use something like the MFJ
> noise canceler.  However, that is still limiting in that you would
> definitely not be able to hear in the direction of the wire.   Still a
> rotating inclined plane though.
> Bill

Hmmm...I had not thought of the "orthogonal" bit, Bill, but of course, you're correct.

The trouble with actually accomplishing that by raising the far end of the wire to point at the
noise source would be difficult in this case, since the noise source is both much higher and
too close to the end of my wire.

I DID find this link today which gives me a lot to think about:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/mfj1026.html

It is looking like my next purchase is going to be an MFJ-1026.

Thanks for all the help and ideas, Folks.

I am still going to make a short "dxpedition" to a quiet(er) location with one of my Stoddart
loops and an R-23A/ARC-5 just to see what I can hear.

I'll be running everything off batteries, and will be using a rebuilt dynamotor with the ARC-5.

I'll report here when I get that done.

Ken W7EKB