[600MRG] My local noise - more info...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Sep 22 15:17:44 CDT 2013

On 22 Sep 2013 at 11:56, John Langridge wrote:

> >I have seen tests of others, like MFJ's, on youtube. Some work very
> >well, others don't.
>
> I've seen some of these tested and implemented correctly and
> incorrectly in the past.  The circuits are not rocket science so I
> think more often than not the problems that exist involve 1) loss of a
> proper "noise" antenna that can actually hear the noise in question -
> it has to be able to do this if it is to phase it out and 2) the noise
> can't be in the direction that the noise antenna resides with respect
> to the main antenna.

Ah! I had never considered this...thank you for the information...and it makes
sense too.

>  These seem to work pretty well from what I have
> seen and have considered one here recently as the noise floor appears
> to be headed upward.  I think most recently KL7L was using one in
> conjunction with his K9AY loop to manage the noise from the electric
> fence, IIRC.

Oh. That makes sense too.

Well, I am going to have to "revisit" those units. I have always thought that
the principle should be workable.

FYI, the early models of the U.S. Army BC-312/342 receiver had a
manually-adjusted, passive version of this principle, but since most operators
really never learned how to properly use it, it was removed from all
subsequent models.

Ken W7EKB