[600MRG] Missed messages - well golly shucks...

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 19 15:45:01 CDT 2013

Bill,
Several of us are using WSPR as an indicator of up-to-the minute band conditions and are arranging CW skeds via email in real time based on that data.  Things tend to develop very quickly with the rapidly changing band conditions, which make it really ideal for making decisions about skeds.   In the past, at least last season, those QSOs might have gotten reported to the reflector after the fact if they were notable and at the very least were manually logged in the 600m database.

Note that I am running a CW ID at the end of each 2 minute WSPR transmission for those that might not be in a position to decode the FSK signal.  Its been very useful for mobile listeners who are making signal observations within a few hundred miles of my station and not in a position to decode WSPR going down the road.

So that's a little more than you asked for but hopefully it paints a picture how both modes have gotten interwoven in the real aspect of operating.  It will never replace calling CQ on CW but until the population of operators increases on the band, its a good place to go digging for potential QSOs.

73,

John XIQ