[600MRG] WD2XSH/6 transmitter failure advice please

Pat Hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Sat Sep 7 11:15:03 CDT 2013

Dave and all,
I laid out the amp for a "pretty" front panel so the four push-pull-parallel
tubes glow through a hardware-cloth screen. That, the three-inch-diameter
plate coil, and the oil-filled tuning caps make space tight.
There were two caps that failed. The variable and one of the two blocking
caps (one blocking cap feeds each of the 811 grids so I can individually
meter them).
One Cardwell variable has arced before a few years ago, which is why I put
the disk blocking caps in series with them.
The arcing is not directly between the plates, but apparently on or in the
insulating bars (not ceramic) that hold it together.
They are about 3/8 inch by 3/16 inch by 2 inches long.

So - now comes the question that I should have asked last time it happened:

Given that the bars are small, straight, and rigid, I should be able to
duplicate and replace the insulating bars easily.

Given: Here on the humid gulf coast, I don't think that varnished Popsicle
stick is a good idea for 1250 volts DC.

Given: When I was a kid, in the 1950's K8DHN rebuilt a capacitor for me. The
first time he used the wrong plastic which broke down, then he found the
right plastic which lasted until the amp was disassembled.
I never did know the correct plastic type.

TO find: Recommended plastic or ????
This group always has a good answer.

Till then, I will put the parallel power supply back to the exciter and 4
watts ERP tonight.

Thanks and 73,
Pat /6