[600MRG] WSPRX resync question

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Tue Sep 3 14:16:24 CDT 2013

On 03-Sep-13 11:41 AM, Brian Pease wrote:
Just now I went to http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock and
downloaded Atomic Clock Sync (free).  It works on XP, Vista, W7, W8; 32
or 64 bit. It allows you to set the re-sync interval to anything you
wish in seconds, minutes, hours,days.  I pressed the Sync Now button and
my laptop was on time according to CHU.  So simple that even I could do it!
****************

Some comments on sync applications:

D4 has always been my choice for a "simple" application. I've used it
for 10 years or so on everything from win95 to win7 with no issues
(other than those I will note below)

I recently looked at Atomic Clock and decided I didn't like it for some
trivial reason or another. Lots of people swear by it claiming it works
on systems where D4 doesn't. I know of no reason (other than those
below) why you shouldn't use it if you like it.

AS far as I know, all the "simple" applications have two shortcommings
which may effect critical digital operations.

The first is the limitation of only one time server selection. If that
server is inaccessible for some reason, you will loose sync updates.

The second is occasional large time corrections. If a large correction
happens at an inopportune time, you will probably not decode anything
during that period and your TX might be corrupted.

Meinberg NTPD is the only application that eliminates those two issues
(as far as I know). NTPD is the "official" Network Time Protocol daemon
originally compiled for Unix/Linix. Meinberg has re-compiled it for
Windows use. It's free BTW.

It runs from a list of at least 12 time servers and selects the best one
according to some complex algorithm. It also automatically adjusts the
sync interval based on how much correction is needed.

There is never a large jump in time correction. Instead it continually
makes very small adjustments to the internal clock resulting in no
digital data corruption. If you are using very time critical digital
modes, this is really the only acceptable sync application.

Meinberg also has a free download Time Monitor companion application
which allows for control of the NTPD service and monitoring of the
time/sync status. Very nice. Also very complicated.

Larry - W7IUV